Facial Oral Tract Therapy
At United Rehab Solutions Ltd we use Occupational Therapy to provide support to our patients; identifying strengths and offering solutions to combat difficulties in doing the activities that matter to them.
We work to maintain, regain, or improve your independence by using different techniques, changing your environment and using new equipment to break down the barriers that their health prevents.
FACIAL ORAL TRACT THERAPY
Facial Oral Tract Therapy (F.O.T.T.) provides a comprehensive approach to the assessment and treatment of disturbances in facial expression, oral movement, swallowing, breathing, voice and speech production caused by developmental and acquired neurological conditions. Four main areas are concerned: nutrition, oral hygiene, non-verbal communication and speech movements. F.O.T.T. is a practical, hands-on approach. It is founded on an understanding of human function and the way we learn from experience. Treatment is based on direct work with the patient and education of others involved.” Kay Coombes
- Facial expression
- Movement of the jaw for eating and articulation
- Improved postural alignment to assess normal movement.
- Identifies hyposensitivity and applies a graded approach to reducing this.
- Promotes functional activities to gain improvements.
- Improved facial expressions, jaw movements, swallowing and voice.
- Improved ability to communicate and engage in activities of daily living.
- Approach can be used for people with subtle problems to more complex problems such as altered state of awareness.
FOTT is an approach used by the whole team at United Rehab Solutions.
But is led by Andrea the occupational therapist and Leanne the speech and language therapist.